Harris
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

Good Afternoon I have a sister who has learning dificulties

Good Afternoon
I have a sister who has learning dificulties and who has spent a large part of her life in the care of a local authority in a variety of residential homes. In 1991 she was allowed to contract a marrige a man who also had learning difficulties but who was living alone in his own home after his father died. Predictably, this marriage did not last long, I believe it might only have been days, before he locked her out and she returned to residential care. I have the marriage certificate. In 2001 the man died. As far as I know she has never used the title 'Mrs', and social services has always known her as 'Miss'.
As she is considerably younger than me I am in the process of arranging a prepaid funeral and have named her as 'Miss'. Whilst doing this it occurred to me that any Death Certificate would refer to her as 'Miss', as I am probably the only person who knows or remembers that she has been married. I doubt whether her current carers have any idea of this and she has probably forgotten about it herself. I am quite happy to let things ride but my question is, are there any legal implications I should consider?
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for your question. I am a qualified solicitor.
I do not see there being any legal implications for your use of "Mrs" or "Miss".
In relation to the nullity, if you are aware of which court granted the Decree of Nullity you can write to them under form D440 filling in as much detail as possible so that a decree search can be undertakebn (the fee is £10 if you know the case number ***** £45 if you do not). If you are not sure of the court that issued the Decree you can write to central family court to undertake a search of all records (the fee is £65).