12826847

I am a london bus driver and ran a red light, i didnt

Customer Question

Hello, I am a london bus driver and ran a red light, i didnt realize a police motorcyclist was sat behind me. As i ran the red light and was approaching the next set of traffic lights i saw the police-cyclist turn his blue lights on and follow me to the next set of traffic lights. He took his helmet off and said something to the effect of, "You need to make sure you look ahead" or something like this, he was basically saying i should be anticipating the lights as i approach them. All buses have the relevant details on for a policeman to know what company we work for and the bus number, so i know he doesnt have to ask me for any details. He drove off after this as the lights changed to green. I am also concerned as i have already been done for running a red light about 12 months ago again driving my bus but i got caught by a camera that time. Work gave me a final disciplinry so i know if this one gets to them i will be sacked and i am also worried as to how i stand within the law at then having two red light offences, will i get done for driving without due care. I dont know the procedure with the police cyclist, do they always ticket you or would some over look it, how can i tell. Is there anything in particular he would have said to me when he pulled up next to m y bus or not as he knows all the info he needs is on the back of my bus
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
How can I help with this please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i already sent you my question, it was rather lengthy did you not receive it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was asking weather the policeman on a motorbike that stopped me was giving me a warning or should i expect something to be sent through the post to my work as all buses have details the police need without the police asking me for mine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I cannot afford another £38 to talk on the phone, Is this a real site or have i just been conned
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
It is possible that the company could receive correspondence about this.
It depends whether or not he takes action and that cannot be predicted. On the face of it, it would seem appropriate as you are a professional driver carrying members of the public and this is a red light.
However, they do not always. Sometimes they just stop people and give them a verbal warning and if that happens then you have been lucky.
He doesn't have to say anything at scene. He can always send out a NIP in paper form.
Sorry if that is bad news.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh lord so i am still unsure what to do with work. Thank you for your help the rest is up to me now as to weather to leave my job and go to another company before my work receives anything. But you do think its a higher possibility because of the nature of my job that the police officer will act on this
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How long does it usually take for an NIP to be sent out, is it usually within 14 days and if i dont hear anything after that could i be in the clear
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
14 days from the date of the incident to the registered keeper.
If they don't hear by then then the police could still tell about it but they would be too late to prosecute.
They do send out NIPs late sometimes in the hope that nobody will notice.