29905560

I am a self employed consultant, working through a Ltd

Customer Question

I am a self employed consultant, working through a Ltd Company. I am currently employed on a contract with a high street bank providing conduct risk support.
In the contract with the agency there is no specific mention of travel times, just that the hours of work are between 9am and 6pm.
As some of the work is based in other offices, I am being asked to travel for 4+ hours, work for 6hrs and then travel home 4+ hours in one day. The client are paying travelling expenses, but I believe that this is excessive and that an overnight stay is required.
Are there any rules around the length of travel time which is considered 'reasonable'
Thanks,
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified solicitor and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. What would you consider a reasonable travel time in the circumstances?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Ben,My idea would be that the total day would be no more than say, 12 hours with work and travel, but as this has never been discussed. I was looking for an idea of whether there is an accepted 'norm' so that I can go back to them again.
Unless you are a driver of goods vehicles or passenger-carrying vehicles, you will not be subject to any specific limits on driving times. Furthermore as you are self employed your rights will not be as extensive as you had been an employee or worker of the company. In these circumstances they may have had additional liabilities in ensuring your health and safety at work but as a self employed person you are responsible for that yourself. Therefore, it is up to you as to how you manage your day and the travel requirements. For example, if you believe that there is too much driving involved, you can arrange or alternative modes of transport, such as train, bus, etc. I understand that may not always fit the requirements of the job but it is not for the employer to ensure that. They will give you the job specifications and requirements and then you will be the one who sorts it and makes it work. As you will not be covered by any specific laws on maximum travel times in a day, you will have to consider whether you can change that personally in any way, or negotiate with the employer to try and agree on some changes. Otherwise, you will have to consider whether this is the right job for you. I'm sorry if this is not necessarily the answer you were hoping for, however I do have a duty to be honest and explain the law as it actually stands. This does mean delivering bad news from time to time. I hope you understand and would be happy to provide any further clarification if needed. If you are still satisfied with the level of service you have received I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page. Thank you
Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Please let me know if this has answered your original question or if you need me to clarify anything else for you in relation to this? If your query has been dealt with please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts from the top of the page. If you need further help please get back to me on here and I will assist as best as I can. Thank you.