12826847

On Thursday 12/11/15, at about 2.30pm. I telephoned the Mobility

Customer Question

On Thursday 12/11/15, at about 2.30pm. I telephoned the Mobility Furniture Company to ask for a brochure with details of riser/recliner chairs following receipt of a "flyer" from this company which had been delivered to my address. The girl who answered my telephone call said "we have a demonstrator in Cornwall today and I can arrange for him to visit you to demonstrate a chair to you. - he can be with you at 4pm. today" This seemed to be a good idea and I accepted the arrangement. A demonstrator arrived at 4.30pm. and carried in with him the several parts of a riser/recliner chair which he assembled in the conservatory - which adjoins the dining room. I am 89 years of age and live in a retirement home.
He gave a very full demonstration and measured my height in order for him to select a suitable chair for me. The residents evening cooked meal is served in the dining room at 5.30pm. and during this demonstration, several residents entered the dining room and sat at the table. You will perhaps understand that I was now anxious to bring the demonstration to an end so that I could enjoy my meal whilst it was still hot. The demonstrator (Jon Alexander) eventually said that the price of a suitable riser/recliner chair for me in my chosen fabric would be £3330. I immediately said that this was very much more than I was prepared to pay. Jon then said that he would have to telephone his office to report on my decision. Using his mobile telephone, Jon then went through what appears now to have been a charade. I very much doubt whether he was actually having a conversation with anyone. Be that as it may, after several more minutes, Jon said that he could now reduce the price of this particular chair by £1000 making a total of £2,330. I accept that I was foolish, but I was being rushed and agreed to pay this revised asking price. John filled in an order form which I signed and authorised £1165 to be debited from my debit card as part payment, the remainder being due 7 days before delivery in 3 to 5 weeks time.
I have now had a full weekend to consider and regret my order.The conditions of sale says "RIGHT TO CANCEL. iF THE GOODS ARE BESPOKE AS INDICATED ON THE ORDER FORM, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO CANCEL ONCE YOUR ORDER HAS BEEN PLACED."
I have only had opportunity to read the company Customer Care Charter, since the brochure was handed to me just prior to Jon leaving here on 12th November. It there says "Relax -there's no pressure. It means that everyone can relax in the knowledge that there is going to be no high -pressure selling. I dispute that. I think that because I was subject to deceit and/or dishonesty by Jon, I should be able t cancel my order of a riser/recliner chair and I will appreciate your opinion.
Derrick Hibberd
What would you like to know about this please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I wish to know how I can cancel the order made to the Mobility Furniture Company
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Alternatively, I will be prepared to reconsider the order if the Mobility Furniture Company make a substantial reduction in the balance of the amount due for payment by me.
Is this a bespoke item?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes, it is bespoke item
That is bad news I'm afraid.
Is it as described?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am surprised that you charged me a further £38 to tell me that there is nothing you can do for me?
You will need to email customer services about that as I am never involved in billing.