Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

I had a parking ticket a while back in a private car park.

I had a parking ticket a while back in a private car park. I am given a permit for work to allow me to park there and I had displayed it in my empty tax disc holder. I received a parking ticket and took the advice I found online to ignore it. I now think this was wrong.
I have since relieved a fine from the debt collection company who are threatening me with legal action.
I have requested photographic proof that my ticket wasn't displayed (I know it was) . The latest reply was that they do not have any but even if they did they didn't have to share it with me. They say I am too late to appeal.
Do I have to pay a debt for a fine that I dispute? In theory they are demanding money with no evidence that I actually owe it!
Please help
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. Was this on private land?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
Ok you should contact the debt collection company and say that the debt is not due on the basis you contest the fact that there is a valid reason for the fine in the first place.
The debt collection agency cannot affect your credit rating without a court order that you are in fact liable for the fine. In effect this means that the ticket cannot be enforced without a court order. You can tell the debt collection agency this.
You should now write to the company who have issued the fine to say that you ha a valid permit to park at the time, if you can evidence this with a note from the employer then that will assist you. You should state that you have therefore not contravened their parking rules and the fine is not valid.
You can say you will not be prepared to pay in the circumstances.
It is unlikely that they will take you to court over this but it is a possibility.
If you have any further questions please do ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
Hello is there anything further you would like to now about this as I can see you have not yet rated my answer which is an important part of the process?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
If the debt collection agency take me to court What will be be the likley outcome, will it affect my credit rating?
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
The debt collection agency can't take you to court. It would have to be the private parking company.
There is no legal basis upon which the debt collection can claim you owe 'them' the money.
If the car park company take you to court they would have to show you were in breach of contract by parking without a valid permit. On the basis of what you say they will struggle. In the event they were successful if you do not pay you would receive a CCJ which would show on your credit file.