Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

Tried speaking to company to be told it was not my design

tried speaking to company to be told it was not my design
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. Please can you explain the situation in more detail?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Hi before I call can you just explain the back ground so I can check it is my area of expertise?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I design an item used in building trade approx 20 years ago ,a few years ago I took it to a particular company who did vacqum forming and they produce 50 molds for me as my original were mad of fibre glass they cracked over time with vibration at any time did I never gave them permission to make or market said coping ,I have in the passed week a company from rutland is selling the finished product I can prove every thing I have told you I have alo contacted old customers as far back as 1999.
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Did you pay them to make the mold or were you working from them at the time?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I paid them but have lost original receipt and because I was small company they asked for cash
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Have you approached the company about this? Did you have any written contract with them?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I approached them but they told me the original mould idea came from a company in Durham who they said were there partners but refuse to tell me who the are
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Did you have a written contract with them?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Ok under Design Right laws you have rights to this design even if it is unregistered for a period of 10 years. You have the right to take civil action against a person who has infringed your design right. Your difficulty may be in proving this if you did not post the design to yourself or leave it with a solicitor or bank at the point at which you designed it. I would suggest you, in the first instance, approach the Intellectual Property office for assistance. Their email is***@******.*** You may need to engage the services of a specialist Intellectual Property lawyer to fight this. If you have any further questions please do ask. If I have answered your question i would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.