75100385

I've got just over 3/5 years left on commercial lease. My landlord

Customer Question

I've got just over 3/5 years left on commercial lease. My landlord is dragging his heels on repairing structurally unsafe stairs that provide only access to electric metre and fuse board, and a joist that is rotten and causing my floor to sink. He also jumped up and down heavily on the affected floor area, he was very aggressive. Is there any way I can surrender my lease?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
For now please let me know why he is refusing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He's saying he needs more details from the workman, that man has told me he's provided full details and is waiting for authorisation to begin work. Landlord is calling stairs/joist issues small matters.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's also worth noting that my landlord is living in Guatemala and I only have email contact with him - I am not party to emails between him and workman
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
What does the lease say about termination or breach?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've no break clause. It's a bog standard pre-printed lease of commercial premises, I think it's an oyez form.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's a form LS1 (part)(reg) 2008/1
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
What does it say about breach?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There's no clause dealing with breach by the landlord.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Ok. What is the cost of doing the works?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know, I have asked for that information from the workman but not had it.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Have you had a survey to say its unsafe?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, his workman has verbally told me not to use it for my own safety. I was considering getting a builder in to assess and quote so I have a better idea of the extent of the work and a second opinion on the structural safety of the floor/joist - am I within my rights to do so?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Ok. You need to get a survey. If that says it's unsafe then yes you can get out of the lease. But you must have a survey first, without this you can't get out.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.
If the system won’t let you please click reply.
Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/