Harris
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

Who will be allocated/What level of Judge may determine an

Customer Question

Who will be allocated/What level of Judge may determine an application to change a child's name? Please reference the legislation/practice directions
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for your question. I am a qualified family law solicitor.
It will depend on the specific issues and complexities of the case, however, it is envisaged that all relevant child arrangement matters, such as specific issue orders (for change of name) under Part II of the Children Act 1989 shall be allocated to lay justices. This is outline in the Guidance on Allocation & Gatekeeping for Proceedings under Part II of the Children Act 1989 (Private Law Proceedings).
This schedule (https://www.justice.gov.uk/downloads/family-justice-reform/schedule-to-allocation-and-gatekeeping-guidance.pdf) outlines when the application will need to be considered by district judges, circuit judges or the high court.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I hope this information was helpful. Please let me know if you have any further queries.
___
Please rate positive if you found the response useful.