Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

I've bought a car I received a receipt showing

hi,
I've bought a car for which I received a receipt showing that the transaction has been successful. now, over a month since then I received a phone call from the seller that the money never went into his account. I've checked my account and the money is there. what can be done ? do I need to pay the outstanding money? who's fault is it?
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. Is this a private sale and are you saying you have not paid for the car?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have bought the car from a dealer, to which I have payed for the car with my card and received a receipt
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
Ok but are you saying that for some reason the payment did not leave you bank account so you have not, in fact, paid for the car ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
basically the receip says I have payed for it but the money never left my account
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
Ok when did you make the payment and have you spoken to the bank about why it did not leave your account?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
we even had to go thru authorisation process due to the big transfer and even got a authorisation nr from the bank to process the payment, therefore the receip was printed
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
Ok but when did you make the payment? and has the bank explained to you why this has happened?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
this happened last month on the 10th.10.2015 from what I remember. I haven't spoken to the bank, that is why I am asking you for advice. if the receipt show a valid transaction but the money didn't got transferred, do I still need to transfer the money now?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am legally the owner of the car at the moment but the money haven't got transferred. am I legally obligated to pay the money?
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
Ultimately you will need to pay for the car if a mistake has been made and the money has not gone through. You are not entitled to benefit from a mistake either made by the bank or the dealership.
Before making the transfer I would suggest you do talk to your bank about this to ensure that the money won't go out at a later date as it is strange if there was pre-authorisation for this to occur.
If you do not pay then the dealership can take you to the small claims court to recover the money. The fact that you have a receipt will not assist you if the money has not gone from your account.
If you have any further questions please do ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
Hello is there anything further you would like to know about this as I can see you have not yet rated my answer which is an important part of the process?