Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

Good morning, I have just been informed by an other manager

Good morning, I have just been informed by an other manager that a senior manager informed a high ranking manager a malicious rumour regarding me by advising him I am on and off in a relationship with a colleague. She has stated we are not to work together because of this. Firstly I am not linked to this person in any romantic way. Secondly you are allowed to be crewed up with your partner so should make no difference.. So professional misconduct as she should not be making professional decisions based on rumours. . This rAllegation. Has now spread through the service and I am mortified and embarrassed. I am placing a grievance however off work now as with anxiety and cannot face colleagues. Can you advise what laws and sections she has broken employment law harassment human rights ??? Can I sue her civil for slander and deformation of character? Please help I feel so humiliated by this as this man is married and recently separated from
His wife and now I look like a home wrecker thanks to her. She also ignores me and yet I have never done anything at work or personally to this woman.
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. How long have you worked there for?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, January 2014 she has done other little things but this is humiliating I work for the emergency services so it has spread thought South Derbyshire and I am
Mortified
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Do you have any idea why she would do this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Honestly I have no factual proof and nothing I have done work related just how she has made me feel. She even knows I am not with Tia chap as I was dating a paramedic when I was on nights he left me in the whilst texting he loves me and in debt it was a shock we did not even argue I have never told anyone of this barring my union . She happens to very good friends with him. he even said they had an affair behind his wife back. Whether he has made this up out of jealousy I do not know however she has made her mind up somewhere down the line to judge me without facts and now telling senior managers I am sleeping on and off with a colleague which is not true this is verbal diatribe. I really do
Not care about her past nor the ex. She should be professional and not be involved in starting spreading rumours she has no idea what e has done to me. She already has several grievances against her. She is cold and unemotional yet I have never upset her. She is very autocratic and favouritism is her speciality.
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks, ***** ***** done the right thing in raising a grievance. You should state that the lies of the manager are affecting your health and that the employer has a duty to ensure your health and safety so they should take steps to protect you from any future harassment from this manager. The laws of slander and libel do not apply to this situation as the statements need to be 'publically made' in order to meet the legal definition, case law shows that statements made in the context of work do not meet this definition. I do hope that sending the grievance will make the employer take the matter seriously and take steps to protect your future health and safety. If you have any further questions please do ask. if I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks I am placing the grievance today I just wanted to add some 'punch' behind. It as speaking out at work causes them to try and push you out. I am going to go for harassment is that the best to place it under?
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Yes but more importantly than that given your length of service is to mention that the employer has an active duty to care for your health and safety by dealing with this. This is because an employer can potentially dismiss an employee for raising a grievance in the first 2 years as there are not rights in unfair dismissal but they cannot dismiss you for raising a complaint about your health and safety. If you have any further questions please do ask. I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best with it.
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Hello is there anything further you would like to know about this as I note you have not yet rated my answer which is an important part of the process?