How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 70506
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I have recently had a dog stolen from me from an ex partner.

Resolved Question:

I have recently had a dog stolen from me from an ex partner. I have proof of microchipping to my address and vet bills paid for by me in my name. The police will not help due to it being a civil issue. What can I do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
How did he come to be stolen?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We had a verbal agreement that my ex partner would have the dog on various weekends so I handed him over to her with the agreement he would be given back the next day. My ex partner then contacted me to say she would not be bringing him back and would be keeping him.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
When was that?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Almost 3 weeks ago. I have verbally tried to reason with her sine then and she has told me to take her to court.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
has she ever looked after this dog?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She lived in the property for a period of time. But I paid for the dogs vet bills and I paid for a dog walker to walk them both during the day when we were at work. I can get a written statement from the dog walker saying that she refused to pay the Walker to walk him, so I had to pay it all. He is also microchipped to me and my address. The house is solely in my name.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
How long did she live there?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Only since March last year and moved out in July this year, so 16 months
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
You need to seek a declaration of ownership and the consequent possession order from the county court. There is cost in that but, in fairness, it is under £500 even if there is a contested hearing.
I would start off with a letter before action though first. If she will ignore you then you could try a solicitor. There is cost in that but it might work.
If that fails then you will have to issue.
On the face of it, you would seem to have a claim. This is not likely to be considered joint ownership if the facts are as you say.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How to I sort out a solicitor?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Any high street solicitor will send a letter before action.
Or you could use a barrister under public access.
Try here
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
No problem and all the best.
Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you