How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jenny Your Own Question
Jenny, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 6307
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jenny is online now

The insurance policy block of flats that I have a

Resolved Question:

The insurance policy for the block of flats that I have a share of freehold in states: This policy is based on the assumption that you have not entered into any contract with the local authority to house tenants. However, I had not read this clause and
have rented my flat to the local council, which has a contract with the tenants. I am trying to get a revised/ new policy arranged (the broker has taken over a week), but in the meantime does this mean that the insurance policy is completely void (although
the broker has been notified) or does it mean that only claims which are related to what the tenant and his family might have done and any others that are related to my flat can be refused by the insurance company?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. Do you anticipate having to make a claim for this period?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It looks like there has been a leak from the flat above and the owner might have to call in a leak detector. I would be willing to meet the cost of this, but it is likely that the cost would be less than the excess figure. Also, there has been an issue with mould/damp but this is unlikely to result in a claim as there is humidity in the flat.
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Hi it is entirely possible that the insurer may argue that this is a misrepresentation and that it renders the insurance invalid in its entirety. It is highly likely that there will be a clause in the insurance contract which allows them to do that, and to refund your premium. If this means you suffer a loss then you can engage the assistance of the financial services ombudsman who deals with insurance complaints. The ombudsman will consider whether this is reasonable reason to cancel the contract and will consider factors such as whether the question was clear, the error was deliberate and whether it is a significant ommission on your part. I would suggest you contact your broker and ask them to make sourcing your insurance their priority otherwise you will go elsewhere. If you have any further questions please do ask. if I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Hello is there anything further you would like to know about this as I note you have not yet rated my answer which is an important part of the process?
Jenny and other Law Specialists are ready to help you