Matt Jones
Matt Jones, Solicitor
Experience:  I am a qualified and practising Solicitor with over 7 years post qualification experience
13732703

I am thinking of selling my freehold property and have found

I am thinking of selling my freehold property and have found a property, a garden flat , which is leasehold. What are the pros and cons of doing this, please? Sue
Expert:  Matt Jones replied 1 year ago.
HI there, I will try and help. Do you want to know what the pros and cons are of buying a leasehold property?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A couple of specific questions: who is responsible for the building itself, I understand that there is a contribution towards building insurance, would that include any problems with damp for instance?
This particular property is on a hill and has a very high brick wall supporting a whole row of gardens, who would be responsible for that?
I understand that a lease is going to reduce and eventually the property would revert back to the owner unless the lease is extended, I dont think this is a problem for this particular property as it has a 999 year lease!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can only give a rating when I have some advice!
Expert:  Matt Jones replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry for the delay. I was away from my computer for the rest of the day yesterday.
Expert:  Matt Jones replied 1 year ago.
to reply to your specific questions then:-
Expert:  Matt Jones replied 1 year ago.
I understand that there is a contribution towards building insurance, would that include any problems with damp for instance? It is unlikely that the building insurance would cover damp proof issues. this is usually an inherent defect in the property. It would be beneficial to get a surveyors report specifically on this issue to check the ingress of damp to the propertyThis particular property is on a hill and has a very high brick wall supporting a whole row of gardens, who would be responsible for that? it rather depends on the historical nature of the boundary responsibility and what area of land was sold off to whom, and when. it is often the case that the responsibility is jointly held by the property and the neighbours. It is difficult to advise without seeing the lease and deed. When acting for a buyer this is the type of things we as solicitors check and report to the buyer onI understand that a lease is going to reduce and eventually the property would revert back to the owner unless the lease is extended, I don't think this is a problem for this particular property as it has a 999 year lease! Any lease that is this length is not going to cause a problem with what we call the revisionary title. Sometimes you get issues when lease are 99 or 125 years as when they run to less than 60 years you often have to get extensions, but in your case this is fine
Expert:  Matt Jones replied 1 year ago.
Some other general points: - (a) make sure that, if there is any service charge payable for the maintenance of communal areas (gardens, yards, stairwells, etc) that this is being manage correctly. if there is a management company the solicitor needs to check this is being run well and not in at a deficit. (b) make sure that you understand what you are buying i.e. if top floor are you getting part of the roof space, if ground are you getting part of basement, who take responsibility for the window pane and who the glass. this will all be contained within the lease.
Expert:  Matt Jones replied 1 year ago.
I hope this helps.Please ask any follow up questions you wish.If you are happy then please leave positive feedback, the question wont close and then if you think of something later you can always come back and ask any further follow up questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much, this is very helpful.