Harris
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

I have 2 questions relating to family law (dispute) how much would the advice cost? My

I have 2 questions relating to family law (dispute) how much would the advice cost?
My husband died from a brain tumour. 2 months before he died he asked me to deal with finances. I did this and asked my eldest son to destroy some of his old bank statements which were 16 years old. Since then my other son has said what I did was illegal and I should have had power of attorney. Is this correct?
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for your question. I am a qualified solicitor.
Just a bit more information required -
What exactly did you do with the finances?
Why were the bank statements destroyed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I continued to pay the household bills and the statements were destroyed because they were 16 years old and of no use
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
A power of attorney is required in order to deal with financial affairs of someone who is unwell to do so themselves. Financial affairs would be matters such as managing their money, investments, bank accounts, buying or selling property on their behalf and claiming or managing their benefits.
Technically the bank statements should not have been destroyed as they were your late husband's documents but it would have been an issue that your husband would have to raise as it is his documents, and not for your other son.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does the amount of £43 include a response to my second (last) question?
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, what is the second question?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can a son over rule his Mother regarding the care of his Father and subsequent funeral arrangements? If the answer to this incurs further charges I do not wish to proceed?
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
That's fine - happy to answer this too.
If your husband left a will, then he would have named executor's who will deal with the estate and funeral arrangements.
If no will was made, and you cannot agree within the family who will be the executor then you take precedents as his spouse.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. That's all thanks.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Thanks and good luck. Please do come back if you have any questions in the future.