Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

I have worked / Morrisons years. When Morrisons

I have worked for Safeway/ Morrisons for 21 years. When Morrisons took over Safeway my wages were higher than normal and my salary was protected but I have received no pay rise since. Morrisons now want to cut my pay to bring it in line with other employees. Can they do this? The new pay deal was negotiated with Usdaw but was suggesting a pay rise for most people and I am an exception in that I would receive a pay cut.
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. How long ago did the transfer to Morrison's happen?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Around 9/10 years
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
Is there a clause in your employment contract which allows Usdaw to negotiate pay on your behalf?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I do not know - I am not a member of the Union but the company say that Usdaw have bargaining rights
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
You need to ask to see your contract of employment as this is crucial to the situation in the event that the Union has the right (in your contract of employment) to negotiate pay on your behalf, then there may be little you can do about this, other than complain to the union that they have not acted in your best interests. This can be the case even though you are not a member of the Trade Union. If there is no contractual right then I would suggest you engage ACAS early claim conciliation as the employer may struggle to prove that the union has the right to negotiate on your behalf. Perhaps see if there is anyone else affected who could join you in fighting this? I do hope you can sort this out. If you have any further questions please do ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.