29905560

Can i patent a product in the u.k that already has a U.S p

Customer Question

can i patent a product in the u.k that already has a U.S patent
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified solicitor and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Have you checked to see if the product has a UK-registered patent too?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes and we don't believe it has.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
If a patent is registered in the US then that wold provide protection only within the territory of the United States. You can get confirmation of this from the United States Patent and Trademark Office here: http://www.uspto.gov/patents-getting-started/international-protection/protecting-intellectual-property-rights-ipr It means that if the inventor wanted the patent to be protected in the UK they should have registered it with the Intellectual Property Office. If they have not, it is possible to register it first and claim patent rights in this county. I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you i will rate. Just one more thing, is there a website for the intellectual property office which would show if they have registered thank you.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Yes there is: https://www.gov.uk/search-for-patent