12826847

I am a Taxi driver in Andover Hampshire and took a passenger

I am a Taxi driver in Andover Hampshire and took a passenger to Luton Airport late Friday night approx 4 weeks ago, on way I had missed phone call and after dropping passenger off I rang number and my son (29) answered it and he was in a distressed state, rambling on could he come stay at my house and wasn't making much sense, I told him I would be back in about 2 hours and the phone then went dead, I was know very worried and set off back home, the M25 was closed and I was taking off route through London to rejoin M3 where roadworks started to come back to Andover. I have been charged with 3 different cases of speeding on way home, on A406 Hanger Lane London doing 40 in a 30 limit (been offered a fixed penalty fine of £100 plus 3 points), then on M3 Surrey doing approx 58 in a 50 (still awaiting return of paperwork) then in Hampshire doing 81 in a 50 which they intend to prosecute. I have 3 points on my licence already and almost certain to get another 9 at least what is best advice as I was clearly driving carefully but under stress to get home to my son.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this. Have you admitted the offences?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
To 3 different police forces
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not sure what is happening here
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
So, in short, you have received three different NIPs?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That is correct all in one night driving home to my son
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Are you asking what sentence this would attract?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes as its my living as a taxi driver and I'm 62 and will be in financial difficulties
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
If you have three points already then it is not likely that they would offer the speed awareness course especially if they find out there are other outstanding points. You might be lucky but it would be contrary to their policy.
The first two matters only attract 3 points each.
The 81 mph in a 50 mph zone unfortunately would attract 6 points or an outright ban for a short time. Actually an immediate ban would be better long term as you would get your licence back clean although it would have a horrendous effect upon your insurance.
They might forget to prosecute some of them. That does happen sometimes. You can't rely on this obviously.
You have to prepare though for the prospect of ending up in court facing a ban for totting. If so, you can always ask them not to ban you for exceptional hardship. That does mean exceptional though rather than just economic hardship. It is important to prepare properly for these hearings.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm still waiting to here if the 2nd offence offer me a speed awareness course but the 1st offence needs a reply within 26 days now for a £100 fine and 3 points. Third offence 81 in 50 needs correspondence within 11 days. Can I ask for all 3 offences to be heard at court to then plead exceptional hardness or what do you think
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Not normally if they are different constabularies but the last to be sentenced would consider your application so it would matter not.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I apply on line to do a speeding awareness course to save me 3 points ?
Allan
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
No, but if it is available then they will make the offer with the fixed penalty as an alternative.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know I'm getting banned but not sure for how long I've got protected no claims on my insurance will that help ?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Your no claims bonus won't be affected.
Your insurance will be racked up though if you are banned.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've got a mortgage and wife only works part time for NHS 2 days a week so we can't pay mortgage
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
That is the basis of an exceptional hardship claim but you need to be able to prove it.