Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

Good Morning I have just received notification a bonus payment

Customer Question

Good Morning
I have just received notification a bonus payment will be much lower than anticipated.
A hotel I managed was taken over by a brewery in January this year and I was told that a bonus would be made up of 25% share of the final net profit, I have had a copy of the yr end accounts and the net profit is £97140, so by my calculations the bonus should be £24285.
I have just received a letter from the head of managed houses explaining that because it is a new purchase the company reserve the right to limit the bonus as the purchase was after the start of the financial year. I was never informed of a maximum limit in such circumstances and want to know whether it is worth accepting the bonus of £10000 that has been offered or pursue then brewery with legal help for the full 24k
Best Regards
Stewart
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. Are they asking you to sign an agreement to accept the £10000?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No they have sent me a letter confirming that 10000 is the payment I will receive.
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
Ok does the letter use the words in full and final settlement or anything of that nature?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Not Really, I have attached the letter
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
Unfortunately word will not let me open it. Could you send it as a pdf as that should work?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
sorry Im not sure why but it will not open or let me save as a pdf.
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
Can you tell me what the letter says or are you unsure?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I think I have done it online , hopefully!
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
Yes it has worked this time. There is nothing in that letter or at law to prevent you from accepting that money and then claiming the remainder of the bonus in breach of contract. If you have any further questions about this please do ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
Hello is there anything further you would like to know about this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** matter if I did not have a contact with the brewery, only verbal confirmation of the 25% bonus and do you think it would be worthwhile claiming for breach of contract ?
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
The letter acknowledges and supports the fact that there was a verbal agreement. A verbal agreement is still valid in law so if they have changed the goal posts you can take action in breach of contract. Whether you want to is another matter. If you have tuped across to them then they cannot take action against you for bring a claim for the remaining money. Ultimately it will depend on how important a good relationship is for you going forward with them in the future. if you have any further questions please ask. I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer before leaving the site as it is an important part of the process.
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
Hello is there anything further you would like to know?