29905560

The gaurentee on my damp proofing lasts till 2018 but the

The gaurentee on my damp proofing lasts till 2018 but the company called The Damp proof Advisory service is no more. What happens next? from Virginia ****
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified solicitor and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Have they closed down or been taken over?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not sure really, the fellow that came must be working from the same premisis because how would he have known otherwise?
His name is***** at Castle damp&timber specialist limited
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
You will have to establish if the old company was sold to a new one and they took over it, or if it simply closed down and ceased trading. If it closed down then the guarantee will now be worthless as it is only as good as the original company’s willingness to honour it. If the company does not exist, then you cannot actually pursue anyone for the company’s failure to honour it. If it was a limited company then any responsibilities would have disappeared when the company was closed down. If the company was taken over in a business purchase, then the new owner may have also taken on the liabilities in relation to existing customers and guarantees. But they must have actually bought the company with the intention of continuing to run it as it was, not just bought some of its assets and used them in a completely different business. The fact that someone is working from the same premises does not mean that they have taken on the old company’s business and their liabilities. You can ask them to see if they had purchased the old company but if they had not then you cannot really get anyone to honour the guarantee because that responsibility would have disappeared once the company was closed down. I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you