Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

I'm a widow and receive a monthly police pension I signed a

Customer Question

I'm a widow and receive a monthly police pension I signed a form one week after my husband passed away that said I would lose my pension if I lived with someone or remarried I don't think I should of signed this form until I had legal advise I'm now dating and want to know what would happen if I decided to set up home together and if the pension would stop and would not be able to get it back if the relationship ended ?
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. Are you currently co-habiting? I do not think this is the case but please can you clarify?
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Hi Joyce on re reading your question it is clear that you are not co-habiliting currently. Sadly under the rules of the pension scheme if you remarry, co-habit or enter a civil partnership you will lose your right to the widows pension. There has recently been a minor change to this which is that you do not if your spouse died in the line of duty since April 2015 (I do not think that this is the case for you). I personally think this rule is awful and ought to be changed. Signing the paperwork made no difference to the fact that this is the case. If the relationship ended you would not have the pension re-instated. If you have any further questions please do ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.