Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

Madam, I am EEA national. When I came to the UK I

Dear Sir/Madam,
I am EEA national. When I came to the UK I have not registered with Home Office (as EEA national it was not necessary) but because of not registering with them I have not got the residency card other non EEA nationals have by now after 7 years.
I have not worked continuously for 5 years (coming with a young child from previous marriage) but I worked voluntarily or selfemployed (part time) during those periods I claimed benefit. And there were periods when my benefits were not backdated.
I have a UK national child (baby- recently) and a UK national husband (separated, but there is possibility to come back together for the care of the baby. We will be married for 3 years in June 2016).
Can I apply for UK citizenship? If yes, how? Should I become a couple with my husband to be eligible for citizenship application or can I keep my financial independence (separation) and have income support on maternity leave (which I would not be entitled in case of partnership)?
Thank you for your help.
Kind regards,
Lillie Goddard ***@******.***
07910 139 176
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
1. You are entitled to apply for citizenship after five years continuous living in the UK as you are an EEA National. This is a free standing right not dependent upon your husband. Here is alink to the UK Government website which sets out the details https://www.gov.uk/becoming-a-british-citizen/check-if-you-can-apply. Be aware that you also have the right to apply based on three years marriage to your UK husband. bUT if you are getting divorced, you are better off apply on your own free standing entitlement.