How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Buachaill Your Own Question
Buachaill, Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10537
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Buachaill is online now

Madam, I am EEA national. When I came to the UK I

Resolved Question:

Dear Sir/Madam,
I am EEA national. When I came to the UK I have not registered with Home Office (as EEA national it was not necessary) but because of not registering with them I have not got the residency card other non EEA nationals have by now after 7 years.
I have not worked continuously for 5 years (coming with a young child from previous marriage) but I worked voluntarily or selfemployed (part time) during those periods I claimed benefit. And there were periods when my benefits were not backdated.
I have a UK national child (baby- recently) and a UK national husband (separated, but there is possibility to come back together for the care of the baby. We will be married for 3 years in June 2016).
Can I apply for UK citizenship? If yes, how? Should I become a couple with my husband to be eligible for citizenship application or can I keep my financial independence (separation) and have income support on maternity leave (which I would not be entitled in case of partnership)?
Thank you for your help.
Kind regards,
Lillie Goddard ***@******.***
07910 139 176
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
1. You are entitled to apply for citizenship after five years continuous living in the UK as you are an EEA National. This is a free standing right not dependent upon your husband. Here is alink to the UK Government website which sets out the details Be aware that you also have the right to apply based on three years marriage to your UK husband. bUT if you are getting divorced, you are better off apply on your own free standing entitlement.
Buachaill and other Law Specialists are ready to help you