75100385

I live in Crown Property and have been the tenant since 1971.

Customer Question

I live in Crown Property and have been the tenant since 1971. The property has been managed over the years by various Companies. I have recently been informed that I have an arrear of £277.61 dating back to 2006! This is the first time I have known about this and dispute that I have ever had any arrears. I have requested Bank Statements from my Bank to show that I have always paid my rent.
However, is there a 'cut off' point (in years) for arrears to be claimed? Many thanks.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
Yes the Limitation Act 1980 provides that any breach of contract can only be actioned within 6 years. Therefore the debt if it was in 2006 comes statute barred in 2012. Unless the contract is executed by a Deed then it is 12 years and becomes barred in 2018. So you need to check your agreement to see if it says executed by a Deed. If not its 6 years and out of time.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.
If the system won’t let you please click reply.
Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/