29905560

A company called Vanguard uk Trading Ltd has called me regarding

Customer Question

A company called Vanguard uk Trading Ltd has called me regarding my investment in African Land. They want £1966.50 up front to cover the cost of Corporate Re-diversion. They seem to be a genuine company going since 2013 and are on the Companies Register. They have guaranteed to refund this deposite along with the current value of the land. Is this Kosher?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello how are they asking you to pay that amount?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
On the account invoice received today it says payment details will be supplied by your advisor (The guy who phoned me, I guess) I can't remember what he said because I turned him down until I received the details in writing (which came today)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Have you only spoken to them by phone or did they contact you via email, so I can try and verify their email address?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Only by phone
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
ok thanks let me make a few inquiries
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Need to log out. Please get back to me. My e-mail is***@******.*** Thanks
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
You are correct that this company is registered at Companies House and was incorporated in 2012. They are up to date with their accounts and have a debt to capital ratio of 94.4%. However, they have registered themselves as operating in “Retail Sale In Non-Specialised Stores With Food, Beverages Or Tobacco Predominating”, which does not match the type of business they have contacted you about. They have only one director of Chinese origin, a Mr Shan Wang, who has 2 other directorships, both for restaurants. So at present it does not make me comfortable that the history of the company and the people behind it appear to be involved in the retail and food industry, rather than financial investments. My main concern, however, is that they have cold called you and offered you a dubious investment and asked for money up front. This has all the hallmarks of a scam. There is no information about them anywhere, nothing that could independently verify their authenticity or track record of such investments and from experience I would say that a fraudster has just selected the name of a legitimate company and pretended to be from them just to make it look legitimate. In truth they have nothing to do with this registered company and are just using it as a ‘mask’ to try and lure you into this scam. I certainly would not get involved with them and I would recommend the same to you. It would be extremely risky to do in the circumstances. I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Experience: Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Many thanks - I had my suspicions especially as the signature on the guarantee form does not match the Ms Wang's signature on the directorship application form which I saw on the Companies House Site.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome, all the best