Harris
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

Living with partner years, my partner don't work due

Living with partner for 15 years, my partner don't work due to a stroke 7 years ago we have a mortgage, two burger wagons where I have been working for 3 years and two children what is my rights as he now wants us to go in separate ways thank you. Ana Rodrigues
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for your question. I am a qualified family law solicitor.
Just a bit more information required:
1. Are you married to your partner?
2. Whose name is ***** ***** and property?
3. Whose name is ***** ***** wagons?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1. We not married been together for 15 years
2. Mortgage in both names
3. Burger wagons registed in my name but he made me put in writing it belong to both of us as the first one was brought with the money from a flat we sold
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. As the properties are in both of your names, legally you both hold them jointly.
However, if you were to separate and he asks you and the children to move out then you can make an application to court under Schedule 1 of the Children Act 1989 in order to have an order allowing you and the children to stay in the property until a relevant date (eg. your youngest child finishes education), thereafter for the property to be sold and each party to obtain their relevant shares from the equity.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My children are 7 & 4 years old
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My problem is he put he's price already he wants £45.000 from me and he knows selling every thing I want have that kind of money
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can he by law ask me for this kind of money ?
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. If you cannot afford that, then you simply cannot agree to it. Your children's needs will come first and the accommodation will be looked at in that way.
Usually, in these circumstances it is always best to sit down and talk things through to reach an amicable agreement, which is best done using an independent mediator. You can find local mediators here: www.familymediationcouncil.org.uk
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much for your help
Have a nice weekend God
Ana
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Please rate positive if you found the information helpful.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
With pleasure thank you