UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

I'm a UK Citizen and have been with my girlfriend months

I'm a UK Citizen and have been with my girlfriend for 7 months who is from the Philippines. She was recently caught a few weeks ago by immigration as she has overstayed by 2 years on a 6 month work visa. They didn't take her in because I was present and said we are in a relationship and future plans to marry. They gave a date and location for her to report which she has already done and has another to appointment to report too in a few days. She has purchased a ticket to fly back to her country as we want to do the right thing for her to apply for a visitors marriage visa in 6 months time but fear this will be rejected because of her overstay. My question is what's the best option available as we want to stay together and eventually marry in the Uk. Your help is appreciated.
Grant
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 1 year ago.
Hello Grant,
She should return back home voluntarily and you could marry her there and she then applies for a spouse visa to join you in the UK as your wife. The fact that she overstayed will not be held against her if she applies for a spouse visa.
Please note the requirements for a spouse visa including the minimum income requirements.
All the best