Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

I took on...

Customer Question

Hi, I took out lease finance on some equipment for our company. The advisor was very specific that at the end of the lease we would have to pay a nominal fee of £90-£100 to be given title of the equipment back. I questioned him on this a number of times as it didn't really sit well with me but he assured me it would be the case. He also told me it was daily interest but it was actually front loaded which made a big difference when we needed to extend the term and had to repay it the lease is now and its end. I emailed him a few times saying can you let me know the exact amount of the nominal fee. He kept ignoring me but eventually sent an email saying 3 months rental - which was over £3k on this loan (and over 15K on the one that comes up in 18 months), but if I took a new loan they would reduce it to ones months. I have spoke on the phone and he accepts he did say a nominal fee. It has now been passed to someone else who says that was never said it has always been three months as that is an inland revenue rule!Could you tell me if I just have to pay it or if I can do anything
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question and welcome.
My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.
Do you have a copy of the lease agreement you can post into this link?
AJ
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I have got the agreement but it wont upload onto this Is there a different way I can send it, Its a PDF Thanks, claire

Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.
Can you email it to***@******.*** for my attention?
AJ
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I have emailed it over it came back the first two times but hasn't the final time so hopefully it should be with you if not can you let me know thanks, claire

Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.
I will chase it up today.
AJ
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Could you confirm if you have received info okay

Claire

Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.
My apologies but I am afraid not yet.
Sometimes it takes a little while to filter down.
I will contact you tomorrow either way.
AJ
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Alex

I have re sent as an email but made the attachement smaller to see if that works

Claire

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Alex

I have resent by email but made the document smaller. Can you confirm receipt thanks, Claire

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Hi, I haven't received a reply to this as yet?

Expert:  Alex J. replied 10 months ago.
Hi, Thank you for your question and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you. Did you take this out in your personal name? Does the company have a recording of the call? Do they have any paper work that supports the charging of the higher payment? Kind regards AJ
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Hi, it is in the company name, we don't record calls unfortunately as we are only quite a small company. They don't have anything to support the extra charging. Gordon the guy I dealt with from day1 told me all along it would be around £100 and he did admit he had said that but the guy who was in charge of him basically said that inland revevnue rules means it has to be the higher payment and he doubts very much I was told otherwise. When it came to the end of the agreement Gordon kept ignoring my messages and calls when I asked about paying the final £100 off and then he send me a message saying I had to pay the equivalent of three months but he would reduce it to one if I took another loan out. When I said no way he redunced it to the one month but that is still over 10 times what he had told be from the start.

Expert:  Alex J. replied 10 months ago.
Hi, Thank you. Did he ever send you any terms and conditions? Have they sent you a formal demand for the money? Kind regards AJ
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Hi I emailed a response that we had the terms and conditions that we sent at the start. they told us we wont get the title released until we paid it. I paid it to get the items released but advised them in writing it was under duress as we felt we had not choice.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

I have still not had a reply from my last one, advising that they said they wouldnt released the title util we paid. Therefore I paid it but told them that I had paid it under duress as I felt I had not choice but to pay it to get the title released

Expert:  Alex J. replied 8 months ago.
Hi, Thank you. My apologies I have now received both replies. You have paid the money and made clear the payment was under duress. This should not prejudice your right to recover the loss you have suffered. Can you confirm is the total loss £3k?