12826847

I have been expelled from an organization called Midland Landlords

Customer Question

I have been expelled from an organization called Midland Landlords Accreditation Scheme (MLAS), this is a scheme that gives an accreditation recognised by Birmingham City Council and Birmingham University that recognises good landlords. If you are given 3 warnings you are out. In 2012 B'ham City Council increased the renewal fees for HMO licences by 120%, a lot of us were up in arms over the increases and I called a meeting to gauge support to fight the council on the increase (which was successful). In order to contact landlords, a list of accredited landlords email addresses, which MLAS had sent out in error three times was used. MLAS accused me of breaking the data protection act and threatened me with prosecution. Upon checking with the government agency for data protection I discovered that the only people in danger of prosecution were MLAS, so they gave me a warning, which I didn't take much notice of since I hadn't received any terms and conditions so didn't understand what this meant. Once our campaign was successful they then gave me a second warning for bringing MLAS in to disrepute, I pointed out that at no time had I ever represented myself individually or our campaign as MLAS, again I really wasn't bothered, but shortly after that in 2014, they rushed out to all accredited landlords their terms and conditions. In June 2015 I had a minor disagreement with a tenant who had overstayed her contract, she reported me to MLAS, because they have an agenda against me because I have rocked their boat and found information they have given out to be incorrect and have generally been a thorn in their side, I got a third warning which means I have been expelled. I appealed the warning but it was upheld. I think that the way they decide complaints via a group of anonymous arbiters, the accused does not get an opportunity to properly defend themselves, also the first two warnings were given before T & C's were sent out, so should not count for anything. Furthermore I do not think I did anything wrong, if anything I did everything right and the result was a saving of around £550 per house for each landlord. Have they breached my human rights by trying me via a "kangaroo" court and issuing warnings with no T & C's?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified solicitor and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Were you paying membership fees to this organisation?