LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
76316425

Good morning I have recently acted as a guarantor lady

Customer Question

Good morning
I have recently acted as a guarantor for my lady friend who has leased an appartment.My relationship has since ended and I am aware that I have a legal responsibility should she not make her monthly payments to the Landlord.In the event that she defaults and I have to pay do I still have an on going exposure.....or in the event of a default the Landlord would ask her to vacate and I would be released from my guarantee once all costs have been met.....regards Russell
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to help you with this.
This will depend on the terms of your guarantee, but essentially you will be bound by your guarantee even though your relationship has ended.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you.....I do understand that.....what I was trying to find out was if my lady friend defaults and I have to pick up the bill if the landlord allows her to stay in the apartment do I continue to be liable??
Very likely yes. This is a contract issue and you need to have a look at the precise terms of the guarantee.
It is not as straightforward for a landlord to obtain possession for non-payment of rent as you might think, and even if he does it will take several months to do and then he may have a delay in letting the property even if he gets possession.
He is probably entitled to say that he only let the property because of the guarantee you gave and to look to you to honour the guarantee.