Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

We are a small business and just received a letter from court

We are a small business and just received a letter from court saying we have to pay over £16k. A man has claimed for an injury in May last year I checked the incident book and staff have written. Man came in said skint needed money and went outside a door marked as fire exit only. He has claimed he hurt leg on a table pushed into corner outside to be mended. When told staff they said the beer garden is at the back of the building he should not have been outside that area.
The letter states we had court bundle 2nd Nov which we definitely have not received.
It says money to be paid by 2nd Dec otherwise the baliffs will come in. We are a small business covering bills and staff wages only - very small amount in bank. this will close the business we do not have the money have to sell and put 8 staff out of jobs
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. Are you saying you have never received a claim form or a hearing date in respect of this matter?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No the pub had a fire last year someone put something through letter box and set light with some sort of fuel., We have been unable to receive mail or anything to do with the business, we changed the address to our home for most things. We have now put outside post box but it was recently vandalised and also cigarette stubs put in it.
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Hello you need to apply to the court using form N244 http://hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/n244-eng.pdf, requesting that Judgement be set aside on the basis that you did not receive the original claim form. You should send evidence of the fire and the fact that this affected your ability to receive post. The County court judge has power to set judgement aside but you will still have to deal with the claim. You should notify the baliffs that this is what you have done. You should append to the form a 'witness statement' setting out the reasons why you believe that the original claim has no merit. If you have any further questions please do ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.