12826847

In August I hired a car from Avis at Glasgow airport. I was

Customer Question

In August I hired a car from Avis at Glasgow airport. I was involved in a serious accident later that day. I was charged with careless driving and pleaded guilty. I received a fine and a six month driving suspension. Obviously I was insured and covered by my contract with the car rental company. Question. I have received an email from AIG insurance working for Avis stating the driver of the other vehicle was seriously injured and is making a claim against AIG. They want me to confirm the facts , which are of course undeniable and I want to know if any admission I make will incriminate me or leave me open to further claims or liabilities.
I am assuming this is almost a formality as I cannot and would not deny the other driver's statement, assuming it is according to the facts briefly outlined in AIG's letter to me, and the information presented to the cort at the time of my guilty plea appearance.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Are you asking if you should respond confirming?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am asking that, but mainly the question is will I incriminate my self or lay myself open to any further claims against me.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
You have to respond confirming. You have a duty to provide this information to your insurers.
In terms of incrimination, that doesn't really apply here. You have been prosecuted in the criminal courts.
You are liable in the civil courts but your insurers are liable on your behalf as you have a contract with them.
This almost certainly is a formality as your insurance company have a duty to check.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you . I am pleased with your opinion. Consider this enquiry closed.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
No problem.
All the best.
Please remember to rate my answer.