75100385

My question is regarding tenancy succession in Lambeth. My

Customer Question

My question is regarding tenancy succession in Lambeth.
My Mother is 90, she has been a tenant with firstly the GLC starting in 1977 this was then taken over by Lambeth when the GLC were abolished.
She signed a joint tenancy with my Father at that time, and when he died in 1984 she continued paying her rent, there was never any notification was given to Lambeth, but no documentation was ever sent or a new agreement to change that joint tenancy.
My concern is that myself and my partner and our young daughter have been living here for the past 2 years it is our only residence.
We have completed paperwork to be added to the tenants details .
My question: will we or I as a close relative succeed the tenancy or can the tenancy be assigned to us or can my Mother ask to add us as joint tenants?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
Its bad news I am afraid, you are only entitled to one succession. If the property was joint and your Dad died then that counts as one succession. It must have been a succession as she is still living there.
This means therefore that there can be no further successions. You can't therefore be entitled to succession because there has already been one when your Dad died. As such it can't also be assigned and the Council are likely to want the property back if your Mother passes.
I am sorry if this is not the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi,Thanks for your response it was as I expected. what about the possibility that she can request people to be added as new joint tenants?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
She can request but there is no guarantee they will. In any event it would make no difference as there can be no further succession so you would have no rights anyway.
I am sorry. Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok,
Not sure why they would put this in as an offer, if it would leave a family homeless.
if we are caring for the tenant and as a family it is our only home plus one of us is related would there be a chance of the tenancy?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
They may be able to offer you a tenancy, but you would not be able to succeed. So they may say well this is not succession but we will offer you the tenancy on THIS property.
By all means become a joint tenant and this is an option you should take it.
Does that clarify?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes it helps Thank you Alex
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Great. Good luck with this,
If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.
If the system won’t let you please click reply.
Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/