29905560

I believe I have just paid £319.99p 4yr protection against

Customer Question

I believe I have just paid £319.99p for a 4yr protection against spyware /anti virus to protect my computer from a very insistant and threatening individual called Thompson . The company is called 'call smart guys.' I have been given his tel number, offered 24/7 computer support, sent a confirming email with the company order ref number.an IP address and auth. code... Is this a scam or a legitimate company? The caller was very insistant, showing me many apparent virus on my screen, telling me my computer was about to go off permanently and that they had been alerted by Microsoft that my computer had major virus issues. ( I have a Norton anti virus package - but was told I was not suitably protected.) I was very resistant, demanding credentials etc. but he got angry and said he was no longer going to help me and I would be closed out of all computers in the house and the account at Microsoft denied (??) sounds stupid now, - but I was getting worried about my loss of business, with out having access to my personal stuff. He was able to access my computer remotely which made me very nervous.. After extracting my payment by visa ( my visa secutity questions came onto the screen- which made me think it was secure.) He also gave me a UIE number - to supposedly protect me from 'scammers' ... and wants me to write a positive review. I told him I wanted to try out my computer for improved speed etc before writing anything.. It is not noticeably faster. (Download 4.27. Upload 0.40 ) I am so confused, - have I been done ?? I look forward to hearing your comments. with thanks Pippa Greenwood.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified solicitor and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. What are you hoping to achieve - just determine if this was legitimate or get your money back?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I want to know it this is a legitimate company for on line support or whether it is a scammer . Of course if I have been duped i would like my money back . When visiting their web site all their information is unavailable , ( contact details, details of support etc ) head office is a London number and Dubai UAE.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ben , do I wait for your answer ?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
I will undertake a few checks and get back to you on here
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you, ***** ***** Ive already paid out £47 for some advice, so I will wait for an answer hopefully! - not forgetting the £319.99p in question for the anti visus...
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Yes of course I will get back to you
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
can I check the website and any emails you have linked to them please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes of course shall I forward the two emails to you ? or write them out ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can forward them to you -there are two emails sent to me.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Not the actual emails, just the address fro which they were sent, together with the company's website. Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the 2 emails used to send me my confirmation is
FROM: Call Smart Guys***@******.***
www.callsmartguys.comthey request my reply to Call Smart Guys ***@******.***
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
ok thank you
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
I certainly have doubts about this company. They claim to have been operating since 2011, yet their website was only created last year and it is unusual for a technical-related business to operate without a website for that long. There list their company office as being in Dubai, yet on checking the Ministry of Economy there, I cannot find a company registered there with that name. The website has a number of bugs and technical issues and again, for a computer tech-related website, this is very unprofessional and uncommon and means that it may not be legitimate. In fact, what has happened is a common scam. The ways in which they operate are as follows:{C}· You are contacted, usually out of the blue and told that your computer has been compromised, infected by a virus or that its performance has been otherwise affected.{C}· You are offered the chance to have these issues fixed for a fee.{C}· In order to proceed you are asked to grant remote access to your computer. Once that happens they can go ahead and perform the necessary fixes.{C}· They charge you and spend a short time 'fixing' the problems In truth there is either nothing wrong with your computer or any issues were minor. What they actually do is simply run programs that are freely available on the internet and whilst they may help to an extent, they are certainly not worth the fees that you are being charged. You are effectively being sold an overpriced and worthless product. Other aims of the scam could potentially be:· Stealing credit card data that you have used to purchase the products they have sold you;· In extreme cases, they may also use the time during which they have access to your computer to try and access your personal information and carry out identity fraud. This is the exception rather than the norm but do bear that in mind. If you wish to report this, all scams can be reported to Action Fraud on 0300(###) ###-####or by visiting http://www.actionfraud.police.uk/report_fraud. You may also report this to your local police station as they are capable of dealing with scam reports, although they will rarely get involved unless you have suffered any losses. I you paid by card, then contact your issuer to dispute this transaction and ask them to try and put a block on it and to charge back the amount you paid. I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Experience: Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Many thanks for your advice and info Ben
Best regards
P.Greenwood
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome, all the best