UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

Are you free to talk at this time? Regarding ILR. I need to renounce my UK passport in

Customer Question

Hi are you free to talk at this time? Regarding ILR. I need to renounce my UK passport in order to keep my Malaysian one. But I would like to continue residing in the UK as in married to a Brit and settled here. But I still have ties and responsibilities in my home country which make it difficult if not impossible for me to give up citizenship there. What is the best thing - should I apply for ILR on the 10 year route ( I've been on ILR previously from 2000-2007, and was naturalised in 2915). You mentioned something about the 'right of abode' route. Wd this work in my case??
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am happy to wait for an answer since I've already paid for one! How long will it take?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I would like a live phone call
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If you can't find one in a few days, could you cancel my question and reimburse me ?
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 1 year ago.
I have just seen your question.
You cannot downgrade your British Citizenship to ILR. You may hand over your UK passport back to the Passport a office and ask them to cancel it and then apply for a certificate of entitlement to be placed in your Malaysian passport so that you have proof of your UK citizenship when exiting and entering the UK border.
As far as living in the UK, you are free to do so even though your UK passport is cancelled as your British Citizenship is still intact.
All the best
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This does not solve the problem of dual nationality and the need to renounce one passport - your advice is to merely circumvent the law in the other country which could get one into trouble if found out. The certificate directly links to citizenship - the advice you provide is not a solution and could be very misleading. The right of abode certificate is tantamount to proof of citizenship in my case. There is a Commonwealth route, but I don't fall into that category.
I am afraid in that case you will need to renounce British Citizenship entirely and apply for leave to remain on some other basis after your citizenship is renounced, or you could ask the Home Office if you could revert to your ILR status after your British citizenship is renounced.
You are free to apply again for British citizenship in the future, once, if you so wish.
All the best
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your advice - useful information anyway. Best wishes, Lena
Thank you Lena,
Please leave feedback