Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

Madam I have been a social worker with children

Dear Sir/Madam
I have been a social worker with children and families within this country from March 2002 until September 2015.
I am going through a crisis. I worked for Kent from 26th June until 04 September 2015. I was given a damaging reference which has brought my passionate career to a sudden halt. I did ask for the reference before I leave the team but with no avail. Two days before I was expected to take up a post in Jersey my reference were sent that cause my first blow.
I am attending interviews and the interviewer are always impressed but as soon as that reference is mention and shown they withdraw any offer.
What can I do? The present reference is causing me to be out of pocket and it appears it has damage my long serving passionate career and deformed my character.
I need your advice please. Please help if you can.
Thank you in advance
Yours Respectfully *****
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
Hello Victoria, my name is***** am an employment law solicitor and I am happy to help you today. Have you seen a copy of the reference and is there anything in it which is factually incorrect?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes I do have a copy of my reference would you like a copy.Thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Lots of the information is factually incorrect
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No response is come from you Jenny
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
Hi I don't necessarily need to see a copy at this stage. If the reference is factually incorrect and it is causing you to suffer a financial loss then you can take legal action against the employer in Negligent Misstatement. You should write to the employer to say that it is factually incorrect and point out why and what parts are factually incorrect and say that you have suffered a loss, by not gaining another job.
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
You should ask them to rectify the reference and say you intend to sue them in negligent misstatement if they do not rectify the problem. If you have household insurance it most likely contains access to legal expense cover. It is worth looking at this as an option for proceeding.
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
If you have any further questions please do ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
Hello Victoria is there anything else you would like to know about this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have written to the employer to say that it is factually incorrect. I have point out why and what parts are factually incorrect. I have stated I have suffered a loss, by not gaining another job.The manager stated she would not change her position.
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
Well the next thing to do is to raise a claim in the County Court for negligent misstatement. If I'm honest I would suggest you instruct a litigation solicitor to assist you with this as it is quite complex and is quite a high value claim.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
She was very condescending when she stated she was sorry but wish me the best in my future career
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
She was very condescending when she stated she was sorry but wishes me the best in my future career
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
I am sorry she was condescending. Really the only action you can now take is to raise a claim. If you visit a solicitor they will be able to send a letter asking her to reconsider. It may be that a letter on Solicitor's notepaper will make her reconsider her position.
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
It may also be worth taking the issue higher within the organisation such as to head of HR.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I cannot understand we are not corresponding well because I am not hearing from you. It appears it is only one way.
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
Can't you read what I have written above?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry It is ok now, I will do what you have suggested but it was already done with no avail. Is there any other suggestion.
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
A solicitors letter and court claim are really the only way to move this forward if you contacting the employer to point these things out has not worked. Many high street solicitors offer a free initial consultation so that is worth looking at. If you have any further questions please do ask. If I have answered your questions I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will try that approachThank you
Kind regardsYou can add more here...Send
+ Add filesYou have an unclaimed offer!Live discussion via phoneView OfferYour conversation is covered by our Disclaimer.As seen on...
The New York Times
Yahoo
Cambridge NewsCNN
NBC
Guernsey PressA satisfied
customer says:"I won the case! Your response gave me the courage and confidence to go into yesterday's audit ready to fight."
- Raymond Y.Stay connected
  
Using JustAnswer
How it works
Meet the experts
The JustAnswer® Promise
Customer Care
Help FAQs
Terms of Service
Privacy & Security
Get to Know Us
About JustAnswer
Press room
Careers
Become an Expert
Read Our BlogGet helpful articles and daily answers from the Wisdom Wire.Read now© 2012-2015 JustAnswer LLC. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
25/11/2015 11:31I will try that approachThank you
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
no problem do come back to me in the future if you need to and in the meantime I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.