Harris
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

I have left the marital home months now. My

Customer Question

I have left the marital home for 3 months now. My name is ***** ***** the mortgage although I have not been contributing since I no longer live there.
Should I still be contributing to the mortgage?
Sophie
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for your question. I am a qualified family law solicitor.
In situations where one spouse leaves the matrimonial home, it is common for the occupying spouse to continue to meet the mortgage repayments solely.
Have you decided on what to do about the move (eg. have you separated and are you considering a divorce) or have there been any proposals regarding the assets?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have moved out but not legally separated. We haven't discussed divorce or assets. A difficult conversation to have at the moment.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do I have to take my name off the mortgage if I'm not paying?
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. It is not straightforward to take your name off the mortgage as the mortgage provider will need to confirm that your husband can afford to take it on himself. In any event this may not be the best course of action as you will need to think about your needs (and the needs of any children) especially in relation to the family home.
I would suggest that when you feel ready, to make a referral to an independent mediator so that you and your husband can meet to discuss terms of the separation and how to settle the assets. You can find local mediators here: http://www.familymediationcouncil.org.uk/
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your advice and information Sophie
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
No worries, good luck and please do come back if you have any questions in the future. You can ask me directly here: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-london-solicitor