29905560

I bought a coffee machine of £3700.00 value employer/

Hi, I bought a coffee machine of £3700.00 value for my employer/ owner of the business I m working as manager less than a month ago. Now I' ve been pushed to resign. Previously we both signed this piece of paper saying he 's paying me back in monthly instalment with no interests over two years. I feel I made a huge mistake, does this letter with both signatures got a proper legal value? I feel I've been conned into this.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified solicitor and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Has the employer said they will not pay you back?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I assume they will pay me over 24 month, the problem is that not even a month after I bought this machine I no longer working for them due to some pressure they put on me to leave and now I regret having done that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Have they paid anything towards it yet?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
First and only payment was 3 days late
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you think that contract we both signed covers everything? I done it thinking I was going to be working there, now I'm out and they got a brand now coffee machine, it was a bit naive of me
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Regardless of whether you are in their employ or not, this agreement can still be legally binding. It is a separate agreement which is not in any way dependent on whether you are working for them or not. Looking at the wording you would be covered for the full payment of the machine, even if you stopped working for them. So you can rely on that to ensure that you ae paid in full. If they refuse to pay you, then you can claim that they have acted in breach of contract and pursue them for the remaining balance. This is your basic legal position. I have more detailed advice for you in terms o the steps you would need to follow should they default on the payments, which I wish to discuss so please take a second to leave a positive rating for the service so far (by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars) and I can continue with that and answer any further questions you may have. Don’t worry, leaving a rating will not close the question and we can continue this discussion. Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The problem is that they will pay me in 24 months instalments with no interests wich I agreed thinking I was going to be working for them. The fact that not even a month passed since I basically lend them this £ 3600.00 is really unfair.
Do late payments give me the right to cancel the agreement and get the coffee machine back?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
when was the first payment made exactly?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
3rd November instead of last day of the month of October as agreed
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
technically it is in breach of contract but not that serious to make the whole agreement void and allow you to get the machine back. If they consistently paid you late, despite reminders that this is in breach, then it would be something you could look at but right now, after only one payment it i not going to be sufficient. Does this clarify?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How many late payments may constitute a breach of contract?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
it is not stated in law, it depends, for example 3-4 could be enough, but also you need to warn them first that there should be no more late payments and if there are then it will allow you to treat it as a serous enough breach to cancel the whole agreement. If your original question has been answered I would be grateful if you could please quickly rate my answer by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page - it only takes a second to do and is an important part of our process. I can still answer follow up questions afterwards if needed. Thank you