LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
76316425

Landlord bullies me. The original member has been promoted.

Customer Question

Landlord bullies me. The original member has been promoted. He was entirely satisfied that my hobbies and pastimes were PERFECTLY ACCEPTABLE What can I do to protect myself from them and their new employees? The landlords staff member regularly and vigorously
bullies me Each time (lately) they progressively tell me to get rid of more and more of my possessions As a result I find myself getting panic anxiety attacks when they call. These attacks last for ages! On the one hand I am told I was OK but now that say
no! They told me that I could keep all my stuff, the two days later wrote countermanding their decision Please, how can I protect myself from their representatives? I just want then to let me live in peace as I have done in this flat for some 15 years.
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to answer this for you.
Can you just clarify what the issue is. What is it they want you to get rid of and why?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I want them to LEAVE ME ALONE:: my way of life was previously acceptable; but now they are repeatedly changing their demands and want me to dispose of personal property that they had earlier told me was PERFECTLY ACCEPTABLE.
The items they want me to dispose of are four HOBBYIST machines made by a well known the manufacturer "Myford" of Nottingham.. Also a pillar drill and a grinder.. Note: On two earlier visits, approx 1 year apart each - These same new staff members had been content to agree with their predecessor.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, I did not tell you "why". . They "think" that they weigh too much for the floor. They have not had an architect advise them. They simply ignored my explanation as to why it was no problem at all l!! They relied entirely on their personal intuition !! ?? ** I can carry, with difficulty 25 kg at the VARY MOST, since I can carry the largest of the machines if it is three pieces: I believe the total load for all of them added together is equivalent 7 people, and definitely NOT more than ten people! They would not listen!! IN ADDITION they relied on the "architectural advice" of a POLICEMAN!! which was when they changed their mind
If you are confident in your opinion than you can just tell them to keep out and mind their own business and remind them that you have a right to quiet enjoyment of your property and to be free from harassment.
If they want to take action against you for possession based on this they will need to prove their claims to have a chance of winning and even if they do they may not succeed in getting a possession order.
Is you landlord an individual or a social housing organisation and what type of tenancy do you have?. Your situation will vary greatly depending on this. Also is there anything in your tenancy agreement that may cover the machines in your flat.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will try to answer your questions.. . If I have a tenancy agreement I have never seen a copy... . .My landlord is Stonewater at Elland HX5 9DE which is their regional office, , ,them main offices are at***** Blackdown, Leamington Spa, CV32 6RE .,, , a registered charitable registered Societies no. 2058R 19412R 18946R 2769R & 31527R respectivle.. . . I quote their reasons They describe it as "Industrial Machinery",,no real reason just:- "The Police have also raised concerns regarding the excessive weight that is being held by having the machinery in there. There are concerns that the flat may not be able to withhold this amount of belongings and machinery". Their letter contonues "I am today requesting you remove all machinery from your / by 8th Jan 2016 ,, and ends "// hope we can work together to make your home a safer place to live" Thanking you, David ps The modelling equipment has been in here for some 12/14 years
OK. You should ask for a copy of your tenancy agreement. You might want to contact someone qualified to advise on the safety of the equipment in your home. I take it there have been no complaints from your neighbours in the 15 years yo have had the machines there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I wish to thank you for your highly valued advice to date. . . . . I have a further question: . . . . . I intend to approach a firm of Architects or Surveyors and to ask them for some sort of documentation supporting my mental arithmetic. . . . Would this be a good idea and then when furnished with same: write and tell the Landlords that I do not intend to comply with their very unreasonable and unsupported demands?. . . . . Thanking you...... David