ukfamilysolicitor
ukfamilysolicitor, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor Currently specialising in Family. Also experienced in Corporate, Employment, Civil Litigation, Debt Recovery
74916426

Nine years ago i signed as guarantor son and his

Customer Question

Hello nine years ago i signed as guarantor for my son and his wife to rent a property after their home was repossessed.
In May 2015 they defaulted with the rent owing £1850.36 this being part rent, the remainder being paid with housing benefits. The landlord never contacted me at all regarding this. I did offer to lend them the money to pay the rent and transferred via BACS.
Since this time my son and wife have parted. She works and my son cannot get permanent work, he now resides with us and has brought with him debts they had incurred, which he is finding difficult to pay.
My husband and i are in our late sixties and not in good health. i do not want to be a guarantor for her anymore, can you please advise me as to what i can do.
Thank you, ***** *****
Valerie Hirst
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer
I am a Solicitor and will try to assist.
Here's a few options for you:
1) write to the landlord and ask to be released. Explain that you consider that the terms of the agreement have now changed because your son is no longer resident in the property
2) check the original agreement for any notice period you have to provide
Kind Regards
Caroline
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you Caroline, I have written to the landlord as you suggested. We now have to waIt for his reply and hope it is favourable.
Let me know how you get on
Kind Regards
Caroline
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes I will and thank you
Kind regards Valerie
Thank you Valerie