12826847

If you are witness to a crime and the police call you to court

If you are witness to a crime and the police call you to court can you refuse to give evidence in court?
-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My daughter and her boyfriend were in a pub and there was a fight which was started by some other guys who thumped and knocked out her boyfriend. He sustained a broken nose and the police took statements and cctv footage and charged these other guys with ABH and common assault. She has been told she has to go to court on Monday to be a witness and she is terrified. She would rather forget about the whole thing and wants to know her rights. Does she have to go to court and if so does she have to be a witness?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Jo,Did you get my question?Best,Duncan
Has she made a statement ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes she made an original statement and also one to say she didn't want to attend because she was scared.
Are you ready now?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes