29905560

I just purchased a car 10 days ago. I noticed

I just purchased a car 10 days ago. I noticed the in car entertainment system had a problem. I told the trader and took it back the next available day (3 days later). He investigated and said there was a fault but I should claim on the warranty. the warranty didn't cover the entertainment system, only mechanical parts and electrical parts. I approached the trader again after speaking to a mechanic (who said the part would be £1600 to replace) The trader said he would fix it , but I needed to remove the audio unit from the car and send to a third party which he said would cost me £10 to post. I confirmed that there would be no extra to pay. He said he would cover the repair bill. Question is:
If I remove the unit and send will I be invalidating my Money back guarantee? as I have tampered with the car in some way.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello are you worried about the warranty for the car or tyhe audio system?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ben,I'm concerned that if the trader doesn't fix the entertainment system within the car correctly, and I have removed the unit myself , he may deny me a full refund if I'm not happy.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Apologies for not getting back to you sooner, I experienced some temporary connection issues and could not get back on the site until now. All appears to be resolved now so I can continue dealing with your query. Removing the entertain system yourself should not affect the ability to claim a refund for the car in general because you are not doing any major structural changes to the vehicle. However, it would depend on whether any noticeable damage has been done by you removing the system. If it is a simple matter of unclipping it from its brackets and unplugging the connections at the back, then obviously there is no risk of damage and it would be unreasonable for the seller to argue that you have tampered with the car to such an extent that it is no longer the car that they sold to you. However, if the system was inbuilt and would require more extensive work to remove it, risking any damage to the interior, such as cosmetic damage or any other damage that would be difficult to fix, they could try and claim that you have been negligent in your actions and the vehicle has been tampered with to such an extent that it would be unreasonable for them to accept it back. However, I would not expect the removal of an entertainment system, something which is usually self contained and only requires minor work to be removed to result in such drastic changes that the car would be adversely affected to such a degree. Also you have the seller’s approval to remove this yourself and as long as it is done diligently and with care, it should pose no issues. Suggest you take some photos before you remove it just to have evidence to show what it looked like before and after the work was done. I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
My full response should be visible on this page. Could you please let me know if it has answered your original question or whether you need me to clarify anything else in relation to this? If your query has been answered I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating, selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page. Thank you
Experience: Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'