Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

There, i have a verbal agreement with a company to resale

Customer Question

Hello there, i have a verbal agreement with a company to resale one of my products overseas, do I need a Lawyer do draw a fiscal contract between the two companies?
The reseller (company) is overseas.
The goods are digital/fiscal goods.
If I do need a lawyer, were can I find one and what are the costs?
MDias
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question and welcome.
My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.
Is this company based in the EU? Is it effectively a distributor of your product?
AJ
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello AJ,We are UK based, the reseller will be in the EU and out of the EU. (Latin America).
They want to use my product (digital) and my trade mark name.Thank you,MDias
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.
I would strongly recommend you have a written agreement for the following reasons:
- If you need to evidence why you are sending and receiving money to HMRC then a written agreement will be the best form of evidence you can have;
- You will want rights of termination and right to claw back the product if the distributor stops paying or goes insolvent.
Are you essentially licensing use of the product to the distributor? Will they have to re sell the product on your terms and conditions?
AJ
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello AJThank you for that.Yes will be used as per license.Haven't got the terms formed as yet, but probably yes under my terms.Do I need to get a solicitor to draw the contract?
If yes can you advice me the cost for away and outside EU?Thank you,MDias
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I mean to say the cost for drawing the contract for EU and outside the EU.Thank you,MDias
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.
The cost of a license - which can be on standard terms would be about £1500 plus VAT. You should consider this cost and investment in safe guarding your supply chain, you will hopefully be able use the document for all future supplier agreements going forward.
http://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk/ the law society can recommend a solicitor. Ultimately the EU non EU point does not matter for this agreement - you will want it to be subject to English Law so you can easily enforce it.
AJ
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello AJ,Thank you very much for your help.Sure will follow the link provided.Thank you once again.MDias
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.
No problem.
If you would like to discuss this any further please do not hesitate to contact me.
AJ
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sure, thank you.Will get in touch soon.Best Wishes,MDias
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Any feedback is gratefully received. Kind regards AJ