29905560

Ben Now I know that the client is giving all this excuses

Hi Ben Now I know that the client is giving all this excuses because she has not money to pay the carpenter and she is hiding behind the fact that I supposed to pay him? She owes me money too but as you know the small court is only up to £5000. So by taking
her to court it will be only to get the carpenter's money My question - how can I be responsible to the payment to all the trade people I brought to the project where I have not contract with them. Also they have let me down on several things during the project
which has jeopardise my relation with my client. But this is the nature of this business. How far do i have to go to get the carpenter's money from my client? I asked him 3 times to give me the invoice so I could pay him before he went to Australia for 4 weeks.
He didn't so now we have this problem. My client has run out of money after 4 weeks but she new we were waiting for his invoice. The client and carpenter have been in contact and they have a very friendly relationship. The client asked him (not me) to come
and finish some small carpentry job. His answer to her ( not me) was yes (?). I asked him by email, how can you do this when the client does not want to pay you and that I didn't want him to do it. That was a week ago and I have not heard from him since then.
I'm surprise, when before this he was asking me for the money. I feel something unusual is going between them. So how do I deal with the carpenter? What is the way forward on this? I'm sure this is not black and white. About me having all the responsibility
and him none. Thank you
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello again, just to clarify the small claims court limit is actually £10k rather than £5k in case that changes things for you. So how far you go to try to get the money from them is up to you. As mentioned you can go to court if necessary and if they have ignored all your formal correspondence then the next step may be to issue the claim. There is nothing that would guarantee you receive the money owed but at least you can make formal attempts to try and pursue that. What you are responsible for will really depend on who you have a legal relationship with. You may not have a written contract but a contract will be implied in law in any event. So if you were the one who engaged the tradesmen and instructed them then you are most likely to be the one responsible for their payment. Your client would be responsible directly to you so the tradesmen pursue you and you pursue the client. However, if the client directly engaged or instructed the carpenter then you can argue that they are the ones responsible for paying them, at least for the part of the work which they took direct control over. I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Please let me know if this has answered your original question or if you need me to clarify anything else for you in relation to this? If your query has been dealt with please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts from the top of the page. If you need further help please get back to me on here and I will assist as best as I can. Thank you.
Experience: Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'