75100385

I have received a fine at 37 m/hr on a 30 m/hr

I have received a fine for driving at 37 m/hr on a 30 m/hr stretch of road. I was driving a rented car and I have a Spanish driver's license from which Thames Valley Police wants to take 3 points plus a fine of £100. Should I go to court over this, what are my chances?
Alejandra Mac-Crohon
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
Were you speeding please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not aware that I was, I was driving a rental car with a classical speed dial, not digital so impossible to know exactly if I was 4, 5 or 7 m/hr over the limit
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Ok - if you are not guilty then you should identify yourself as the driver but say you are not guilty. However in reality the Police will have proper Home Office approved speed devices, they will be calibrated and the Police will receive training on using them.
If you plead not guilty you will have to come to the UK and attend Court. if convicted you face Court trial costs, a larger fine and potentially more than 3 points. Most forces prosecute at 10% + 3mph, so 35mph you would have been guilty. This is 37mph which is far higher.
I am sorry if this is not the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Alex,
one more question. Is it true that the speed device used might have been just 5% off and the reading is therefore inaccurate?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Unlikely - they are calibrated in accordance with the manufacturers instructions usually and Home Office approved.
Does that clarify?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, thanks.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Good luck!
If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.
If the system won’t let you please click reply.
Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/