12826847

Having paid my water bill (late) with the amount shown in the

having paid my water bill (late) with the amount shown in the payment box. I have noticed on my credit report that I am in arrears to the water company by £3.47 which in effect has given me a bad credit report. Looking at my bill I noticed halfway down the page it says they have deducted 1.5% off my bill if payment is paid within a certain time, I was outside that time. They did not send me any notification or any bills so I did not know that I owed anything. I contacted them and they said they did not send out any bills under six pounds. I think this is legally wrong, how can I correct anything if they do not inform me but at the same time giving me an adverse credit report. Your thoughts please.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
What would you like to know about this please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I have them remove this report on my file and have redress
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I applied for a buy to let mortgage and was declined with an adverse credit report due to this £3.47.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Only the water company can get this removed. I agree with you that it’s totally unreasonable for them not to send out a bill because the amount is under 6 pounds and then, when you don’t pay the bill, because you haven’t had it, they then issue a default notice.
Do not try to deal with this on the telephone but write to them. Make it a formal complaint asking them to remove this entry on the credit register on the basis that it is unreasonable in the circumstances.
If they will not remove it, make a complaint to the water regulator Ofwat.
http://www.ofwat.gov.uk/households/complaints/
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is what they have done legal. They did not put a monthly arrears notice on my credit file which would could have alerted me they just lumped on six months in one go and no bills.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
I'm afraid it is legal. Come what may, they are asking you to pay for consumption which you are bound to do under the contract.
Whether or not they will reduce the amount as they have been incompetent is another matter.