75100385

I am in receipt of ESA and DLA middle rate. I am about to inherit

I am in receipt of ESA and DLA middle rate. I am about to inherit around £100k. This would stop my benefits. How long do I have before I must declare it, so I may invest in a property to move into. etc. and continue receiving these.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
Are you on income or contribution based ELA?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
income related for several years
Then yes, it will affect ELA because it is means tested. DLA is not means tested so wont be affected. Anything over £16,000 will affect ELA and you should tell them as soon as you get the payment. Its likely ELA will stop as its income based.
You may invest in property etc but you are likely to have that counted as capital and not receive that benefit.
There have been discussions in Parliament about getting these exempted from inheritance such as having a trust etc but nothing has happened yet.
I am sorry if this is not the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok, thank you