12826847

I was arrested without bail in July for "Failure to appear"

I was arrested without bail in July for "Failure to appear" in relation to a speeding offence the year earlier that I had no knowledge of. I hadn't received any summons from the court nor do I have any prior convictions.
I was detained overnight and transported to the court the next morning. Is this allowed?
How did there come to be a warrant for your arrest for a speeding offence?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
They had apparently been sending letters/summons to the wrong address which I obviously hadn't responded to and so issued a warrant when I didn't attend the court date.
Were you only summonsed for speeding?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes. I've never been in trouble for speeding or otherwise before either.
Are there any other warrants out against you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
None at all.
Were you arrested for the speeding offence originally?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No. It was caught on a speeding camera on the M1 motorway.
On the face of it, I cannot see how a warrant can have been issued lawfully. If he were not arrested for speeding then you could not have been on bail and therefore the bail act would not apply. Generally speaking, people are summonsed to court for speeding offences and, while failing to answer a summons is a contempt of court in theory, it does not amount to a bail act offence.
If that is right, then this would amount to an unlawful arrest. Quite frankly though compensation is often not worth pursuing as the awards have been substantially reduced. You can always complain to the the IPC C although it sounds as though this was an error of the magistrates rather than the police if indeed a warrant did exist.
If that is right then it might be safer to consider the options for civil recovery as magistrates can't take revenge in the way that sadly the police sometimes do.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I did initially complete an NIP but then I had moved address before they had responded. Does this mean I broke bail conditions?
No, because you weren't ever on bail.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you very much.
No problem and all the best.
Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/