Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

I have been working as a freelance bookkeeper public

I have been working as a freelance bookkeeper for a public house and table dancing night club. The takings and entrance fees go through the cash tills. The dancing girls pay the club a commission at the end of the evening, which does not go through the tills. This is an owner managed business. The owner regularly extracts on average 67% of the commission without declaring as revenue on the accounts. Can someone advise me on what I should do?
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
1. I would advise you to resign immediately. If your bookkeeping is part of accounting to the Revenue, you could potentially be committed an offence of false accounting under section 17 of the Theft Act, 1968, or the offence of conspiracy to defraud the Revenue under section 1 of the Fraud Act 2006, or at common law. So you should resign immediately. Be aware that this area is a slightly grey area where you don't necessarily have a liability at present. However, under current Revenue proposals, a new offence of facilitating tax evasion is about to come in and if it does, you would definitely be caught.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
2. The Revenue produced proposals of an offence of facilitating tax evasion. It has not yet been passed. However, it is in the offing and would certainly catch the type of behaviour you are engaged in. Here is a link to an article in the Financial Times about it http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/1d776092-2bcf-11e5-8613-e7aedbb7bdb7.html
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
Please RATE the Answer as unless you RATE the Answer your Expert receives none of the money you have paid the website so there is no incentive to answer any further questions.