Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

ThereI have discretionary leave to remain in the

Customer Question

Hello there
I have discretionary leave to remain in the UK which expired in April 2016. I was wondering if I could travel anywhere in the time till it expires or do I need to be in the country a couple of months (6 months). Hope you can help
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HelloDo you know roughly how long it will take
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm afraid JustAnswer cannot guarantee a time but most questions are answered in a timely manner.
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I do decide to close the question will i get my fee back?
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
1. Can you better explain the situation. On what basis did you get Indefinite Leave to Remain? Are you refugee or asylum seeker? Or was it on some other basis that you go ILR? Do you want to travel within the EU or outside the EEA?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So I got the discretionary leave to remain as I filed for asylum which was refused. The residence permit is valid up until the 19th of april 2016
The country that I want to travel is india
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
2. You can apply for what is known as a "Certificate of Travel". This is given to a person whose asylum claim has been refused but has been given discretionary leave to remain in the UK when they have been formally and unreasonably refused a passport by their own country. A certificate of travel will usually be valid for the same period as your permission to stay. Be aware that if you have children, that they cannot be included on their parents' or guardian's application form for a travel document. Be aware as well that a certificate of travel issued to a child will usually be valid for a shorter period.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
3. Here is a link to the relevant pages of the UK Government website which sets out how you may apply and the basis upon which you may apply https://www.gov.uk/apply-home-office-travel-document/overview. Fill in the form TD112 BRP. be aware that you must have a biometric residence permit in order to apply for this certificate of travel.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
4. Please RATE the Answer as unless you RAte the Answer your Expert receives none of the money you have paid the website so there is no incentive to answer any further questions.