75100385

My daughter recently moved to London and is renting a room

Customer Question

My daughter recently moved to London and is renting a room in two bedroom property shared with the landlord.
The room costs £950 a month, which includes bills. It was filthy as was the rest of the house when we arrived and I spent two days cleaning it just to make it habitable. I told the landlord this was unacceptable and that she should reduce my daughters rent to compensate, but she wont do that. I even had to buy a hoover as hers did not work that well and was filthy.
The next problem is the fact that the landlord goes into my daughters room and when my daughter came home tonight and found her bedroom door open she asked why she was in her room and was told it was to open the curtains and windows. My daughter doesn't open the curtains because there are no blinds on the windows and the houses behind can see into her room. She was also told that the windows have to be opened because my daughter's damp washing is making the house damp. However the landlord wont turn on the heating, so the clothes wont dry and the house is damp as the windows are all black mould, which I had to clean with bleach and a brush to get off. My daughter is also frozen because the house is so cold.
Can you please advise on anything we can do to try to resolve these issues. It is a three month let, up in February of next year. Two months rent had to be paid plus a £100 deposit at the onset. The landlord says she doesn't like cleaning and would rather shop. We had to clean the mould out of the fridge before we could put my daughters food in the little space she was allowed and buy a step so that she could reach the one cupboard she is allowed to use.
I am concerned for my daughters health, but we cannot afford to find somewhere else just now having forked out the money for two months rent. There is no tenant agreement that I know of.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Georgina
My daughter
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
Is there a letting agreement for the room please?
Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Alex,
There was no letting agreement for the room.
We were having difficulty finding a short let that would cover my daughters three month probation period as we did not want to take on a longer let in case for any reason the job/ living in London did not work out.I found this let on Spareroom and as there was a telephone number (had tried others by email but no reply) I contacted the number direct. The owner is a 38 year old Chinese woman who was very friendly and helpful and said if we went to AirB&B we would see more pictures of the room and if we were happy with that she was happy to let to my daughter for three months as she has exams in January and this would help her out because she did not want any upheaval until her exams were past. She also pointed out that it would save us having to come down from Edinburgh to London to view properties.My daughter was given the job offer and her new firm requested she start two weeks later as they wanted her out in Los Angeles for an event for 10 days then she would start in the London office. This seemed the solution as time was of the essence and my daughter really did not have the time to come down to London, view flats, then be told she was not successful.I insisted on an email agreement for the three month let, which was given. We assumed that as her home was on Air B&B it would be clean and warm. On spareroom it said all bills were included.The owner is not being nasty about this. My daughter feels the owner just wants your money, but doesn't really want anyone living in her home. She objected to my daughter using the hot wash on the washing machine for towels because it takes too long, then how do clothes dry when there is no heating on.Regards
Georgina
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This problem has now escalated and I need advice as soon as possible
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
When are you free?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am free now
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And reachable on my home phone number
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
I tried to call but engaged, let me know when you are free.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am free now an I have call waiting ad there were no bleeps. I have been trying other sources of help.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Ok