12826847

I had a contract with Vodafone which I wanted to cancel at

Customer Question

I had a contract with Vodafone which I wanted to cancel at renewal. The contract states that I must 'give at least 30 days notice' which is what I did but I was told that they would cancel the contract immediately and charge me a temination fee. I queried
why this was so and was infomred that I had given more than the 30 days notice and their computer system could not accept cancellations over 30 days. I ponted out what it said int the contract and was told that I would have to call back nearer the termination
date. I explained that I could not do that as I would be out of the country and asked them to do a diary entry to terminate on the 30 day period (even though the contract stated that I had to give at least 30 days) They told me that this was not possible.
I then found that the serivices had been disconnected, my access to the on line account suspended and I received notification that my monthly bill would be £2.88, as opposed to the normal montly bill of £25. This I took to be my final bill. I then recived
a letter from a debt collection agency stating that I owed Vodafone £32 in unpaid bills. I queried this and they told me it was for an early termination fee. I pointed out that I did not terminate, merely gave my notice as per contract and their system limitations
terminated it and I could not be held responsible for their system shartfalls. I have no had entries added to my credit file stating tha I have missed payments, I did lodge a dispute on this but Vodafone just stated that they were correct and wold not remove
it. This has now had a negative impact onmy credit rating. What is my legal redress?
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK I will wait a little longer. In addition, my main argument with vodafone is that I can only be held to the terms and conditions of the contract I have with them and it clearly states in there that I have to give a minimum notice of 30 days. There is no provision to state that I cannot give more notice than that and there is also no provision stating that their system limitations will not allow me to give a longer notice period and that it will be cancelled immediately. Their own web site clearly states that 'your agreement will end 30 days from when you tell us you want it to end' I gave them the required 30 days notice to be effective at renewal date but their system limitations would not allow me to do it. I asked them to diarise (not an unreasonable request) it and they refused but they expected me to call from a foreign country or use the web chat when I cannot guarantee either internet connection of call quality. I find it hard to beleive that a comapny the size of vodafon and its complex computer systems do not have a simple diary system in place, as they led me to beleive.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
What is it you would like to know about this please?